- Processed meat: Sausage, bacon, cold cuts, etc. (typically mostly fat)
- Dairy: Milk, Cheese, Yogurt (can also be a significant source of fat and/or sugar)
- Legumes: Peas, Beans, Peanuts (primarily a source of carbs and/or fat)
- Protein Powders: Whey, Egg White, Pea Protein, etc.
- Protein Bars (Note: even "Paleo friendly" bars are somewhat processed)
Paleo (Meat and Eggs)
- Poultry: Chicken, Turkey, Duck, etc.
- Red meat: Beef, Lamb, Pork, etc. (can also be a significant source of fat)
- Seafood: Fish, Shellfish, etc.
- Eggs (also a significant source of fat)
- Gluten-containing grains: Wheat, Barley, Rye, etc.
- Non-gluten containing grains: Oats, Rice, etc. (some argue these are ok for athletes)
- White potatoes
- Dried fruit (especially if sweetened)
- Legumes: Beans, peas, peanuts
- Added Sugar or sweetener (including sugar-free)
- Fruit: Berries, melon, apple, banana, etc.
- Vegetables: Squash, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, etc.
- Sweet potato and yams
- Sugar naturally occurring in fruit (consider limiting if trying to lose weight)
- Processed oils: canola, grapeseed, rice bran oil, margerine, etc. (These oils are high in Omega 6, and promote inflammation)
- Cheese, cream and Butter (products from grass-fed, pastured, free-range animals tend to have better micronutrient content, but still aren't Paleo)